Madelyn's birth story goes back several months as I consider it to have "started" from the day I was put on bed rest. A few days after Memorial Day, my doctor put me on modified bed rest due to low amniotic fluid, pre-term labor contractions and premature aging of the placenta. For 5.5 weeks, I had twice weekly nonstress tests, weekly ultrasounds (every other week was a full growth check) and weekly appointments. Also fit in there were two steroid shots to beef up Maddy's lungs should she come early.
| 5 lbs 14.7 ounces |
We arrived at the hospital on Monday morning at 7:30 am. Everything moved rather quickly and no time was wasted getting things started. After some brief paperwork, getting settled and chatting with our nurse, I was hooked up to my IV to get started with fluids. The IV went as expected and I got lightheaded and vomited shortly after it was in. I only share this as I knew it was going to happen as it did with both other deliveries...definitely the worst part for me.
My doc came in and broke my water around 8:15 am and as expected it was super low as not much came out. She checked me and I was only 3 cm dilated at this point, 50% effaced and the baby was at -2 station. I was pretty discouraged after hearing this as I fully expected to be farther along. They started my pitocin around 8:45ish and gradually increased it every 20 minutes. Contractions picked up and by 10 am, I was ready for my epidural. My nurse checked me right before the epidural and I was only at 4 cm...again rather discouraged.
The epidural worked like a charm as it did with both other deliveries. I was super relaxed, able to move my legs and only felt slight tightening during contractions. My nurse was concerned that baby girl was face up as I had been feeling strong contractions in my back, so she had me alternate laying on my sides every 20 minutes in an effort to let gravity turn her over.
We relaxed for a bit and tried to watch a movie in between Facetiming with the girls and texting some friends. Shortly after noon, my nurse came in and I casually mentioned that I thought I had felt some light pressure. She went to check me and discovered that Maddy was on her way out. She quickly said something along the lines of "code red" into her walkie talkie and nurses immediately flooded our room. Our nurse Shelby basically delivered Maddy as she caught her coming out (again with no pushing). My doc arrived shortly after delivery, took care of the placenta and cleaned me up.
We learned that this is called a "precipitous delivery", meaning no doctor present and the bed wasn't broken down. This of course was our second occurrence and we had even discussed it with our nurse earlier in the morning. Maddy checked out great, despite the circumstances, and proceeded to cry for about an hour after delivery. We were told this was because she had some fluid to work out of her lungs.
On our second day in the hospital, our pediatrician raised some concern about Maddy's color and looking a little jaundice. She requested that the nurses check her bili levels later that evening to determine if she needed to spend some time under the blue bili lights. Unfortunately her levels came back a little high so she had to spend the night in the nursery under the blue lights (from about 10 pm until they released us around 1 pm the next day). I had to go down to the nursery to nurse her about every 2.5 - 3 hours while she was there. It was sad to have her away from us for so long, but we're thankful the lights did the trick and we were able to take her home on time!
On our second day in the hospital, our pediatrician raised some concern about Maddy's color and looking a little jaundice. She requested that the nurses check her bili levels later that evening to determine if she needed to spend some time under the blue bili lights. Unfortunately her levels came back a little high so she had to spend the night in the nursery under the blue lights (from about 10 pm until they released us around 1 pm the next day). I had to go down to the nursery to nurse her about every 2.5 - 3 hours while she was there. It was sad to have her away from us for so long, but we're thankful the lights did the trick and we were able to take her home on time!
| Headed home! |
| Looking so tiny in her carseat! |
| Fast asleep on the ride home |



No comments:
Post a Comment