The Roberts Family

The Roberts Family
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Monday, June 6, 2011

Avery's Birth Story...

Our precious, little Avery could not wait to make her debut into the world and chose to grace us with her presence 2 full weeks early!  While we were not completely caught off guard, we still can't believe she came this early on her own!  Avery's delivery was much different than her older sister's and she came into this world very quickly.  For documentation and blog book sake, here is the story of Avery's birth.  Feel free to skip as it's pretty lengthy.

Beginning first with my 38 week appointment on Friday (was actually 37 weeks and 5 days), we found out that I had progressed to 4 cm but was still 50% effaced.  My doctor informed me that she was on call this weekend and that she hoped to see me at the hospital.  She also stripped my membranes to encourage things along. 

I had contractions on and off throughout the day on Saturday, but nothing was too consist or strong.  After returning home from a cookout with our friends, we discovered that contractions were coming pretty steadily around 5-8 minutes apart and were about a minute long.  We started timing contractions at about 8 p.m. and then decided at around 10 p.m. to head to the hospital.  Upon my initial exam at the hospital (around 10:30ish), it was discovered that I was still only 4 cm (at this point I was sure they'd send us back home) but was now 90% effaced.  They decided to hold me for a few hours to do a recheck so we took a quick walk around the L/D floor and contractions continued to get stronger and closer together.  Due to the amount of pain I was in, we requested to be rechecked shortly before midnight and it was discovered that I was in fact 7 cm.

In a rush, they sent me to a delivery room and got me all set up with an IV and had anaesthesiology paged.  I finally received my epidural around 1 a.m.  After a quick recheck (still at 7 cm but fully effaced), they left us to relax and try to get some rest.  The nurse came back in a little before 2:15 a.m. to recheck me (Avery kept sliding off the monitor) and quickly discovered she was on her way out.  She literally pulled back my covers, told me not to move and ran to get a doctor and team of nurses.  Avery was already several inches out, still in the bag of waters.  They pulled the on-call doctor out of the OR to basically come in and catch Avery.  She was delivered in the bag of waters at 2:16 a.m. and I literally did no pushing at all.

They quickly whisked Avery away as she had her first meconium poop in the bag of waters, and they had to asses/clean her up and had NICU called in just in case.  Avery checked out great and cried throughout the entire assessment.  After getting cleaned up, she latched on great and nursed like a champ. 

We were moved to our room on the maternity floor around 4:30 a.m. and Nana and Papa were our first visitors...just shortly after we had arrived into our room.  They left Columbus, OH where they were visiting my sister late on Sat evening with the intent on waiting things out at home and quickly made a detour to Indy upon discovering our progress.  Big sister, Kensley, and Grammy and Grampy came first thing Sunday morning to meet little Avery.  So needless to say, we got very little sleep Sat evening/Sunday morning but we seemed to be running on adrenaline.

We are still trying to determine who little Avery looks like.  She is a petite, little thing with dark brown, almost black hair...and quite a bit of it!  She has deep blue eyes, thin rosebud lips and long, skinny fingers and toes (definitely inherited from daddy).  Being so tiny, she is swimming in her newborn clothes and diapers and they even have her on a preemie paci (which still looks huge in her mouth).  We know that it's only a matter of time before she is growing right out of things.

Physically, I am feeling great.  Unlike Kensley's delivery, I had no tearing and have been up and moving around since delivery.  I am so thankful that I am feeling so well knowing how busy things will be once we go home.

We love this little girl so much already and know she will fit perfectly into our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment