Well this pregnancy continues to keep us on our toes and is definitely not lacking in surprises. Our appointment this week was a bit of a shock and is definitely going to throw a wrench in our every day routine.
I had a follow up ultrasound scheduled for this week in addition to my regular 32 week appointment. They wanted to double check baby girl's growth and ensure she was continuing to develop and grow appropriately. She is looking good and still measuring a little small, but nothing to be concerned about (less than a week off from what she should be). She is just about 4 pounds and is head down!
The ultrasound did however reveal that my amniotic fluid level is lower than they would like it to be. It's still in the normal range, but on the lowest end. They think I could be a little dehydrated so I was instructed to up my water intake. The ultrasound also revealed that my placenta is a grade 2 (apparently they "grade" them and 1 is the best). This just means that the baby isn't getting all the benefits she should or could be getting from the placenta.
So as a result of the above, I was put on immediate modified bedrest (meaning only do what was necessary and no extra moving around). This will hopefully allow more blood flow to the baby as I will be using less energy not moving around. I also have to do twice weekly NST's (non-stress tests) and will have an ultrasound next week and again the following week to recheck fluid levels and growth. My doctor also sent me over to the hospital for two steroid shots to beef up baby girls lungs, in the event she comes early.
We're hoping that taking these extra precautions will allow baby girl to stay put for a bit longer. I've been having some regular (and sometimes strong) contractions, which is another reason for all of the above. My doctor did check me at the appointment as well and fortunately I am not dilated yet.
So now with all that news we're having to figure out how to manage on a daily basis as Jeremy is pretty much running the show. I was scheduled to go to Chicago for my last work trip this weekend, but by doctor's orders I am now resting on the couch. I am still able to work since I can do that from my couch, so that's good at least and will help to keep me busy for a few weeks. I know our biggest challenge will be keeping the girls busy and active while I am taking it easy. Our parents have offered to help out and I am sure the girls will spend lots of time with grandparents over the next few weeks.
We're definitely thankful for the extra precautions and feel good about the fact my doctor will be watching me closely. I think Jeremy is definitely going to take the "brunt" of this all and will most likely be ready for July to get here! We're hoping to keep the girls as unaffected as possible, but know they are already noticing my limitations.
We're definitely thankful for the extra precautions and feel good about the fact my doctor will be watching me closely. I think Jeremy is definitely going to take the "brunt" of this all and will most likely be ready for July to get here! We're hoping to keep the girls as unaffected as possible, but know they are already noticing my limitations.



Goodness!! Let me know if Stephan and I can do anything to help! Keep Baby Roberts in there!
ReplyDelete