The Roberts Family

The Roberts Family
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Friday, May 10, 2013

Kensley: 3.5 years old...

I thought it might be fun to do a 3.5 year update on Kensley as she seems to have grown up so much in the past 6 months!  She is definitely becoming her own little person and amazing us daily by how grown up she is.

Kensley has such a soft heart and is always generous with her hugs, kisses and her "I love you's".  She loves her little sister and (for the most part) is so good to her.  She loves to try to teach and show her new things.  I hear her say to Avery multiple times throughout the day "We're best friends, aren't we Avery?"  Kens is also very concerned for Mommy right now and seems worried whenever I have a doctor's appointment, mention a pain, etc.  She also has been my sidekick lately wanting to do whatever I'm doing or go where I am going.  She tells me daily that she wants to be just like me and do everything I do when she gets bigger.

Working like mommy on her computer.
Kensley is definitely in the inquisitive stage as she asks lots and lots of questions each day.  It's funny to see how she is processing things and what she thinks about.  We tend to answer the same questions over and over again.  She talks about the baby often and is fixated right now on how we're going to get the baby out.  She asks this question several times a week.  It's definitely different having a baby this time around with a 3.5 year old that is understanding more!
 
Over the past month, Kensley has officially transitioned to sleeping in big girl panties at night (no more pull-ups)!  We knew she could do it as she would often wake up dry or was just wanted to lay in bed instead of going straight to the potty.  We added a little motivation and she was thrilled to be able to pick out a new Ariel doll after a week of dry nights.  She's had a few minor accidents along the way, but is doing great!
 
She also gave up her crib/toddler bed for the new baby and has been sleeping in a Queen bed since March.  She loves it and I think we've only had one issue of her falling out of bed during the night.  She is still taking a nap in the afternoons for about 1.5 hours and usually goes to bed around 8:00 pm and gets up anywhere from 7 - 7:45ish in the mornings.  She seems to be having a bit of a hard time falling asleep in the evenings and I'm wondering if it's because of her afternoon nap.  I'm just not sure she is ready to give up that nap (or am I for that matter!).
 
Kensley is big on routine and everything must be in it's correct place.  Naps and bedtime can become quite the dramatic event if something is missing.  She hates to have miscellaneous toys/books laying all over her room when she is going to bed.  So they have to be put away and if they go in the playroom, they get tossed in the hall.  Her pillow, blankets, Ariel doll, stuff animals, Baby Ruth book, Mickey pillow and kleenex are strategically place in her bed.  It's imperative that she has her water (full of course) on her nightstand regardless of whether she will drink it. 

Post ice cream (yes, it's on her forehead too)
Kens is still a relatively picky eater, however we can reason with her much better these days.  She knows the rule that she has to try new foods, but it usually is met with some resistance.  She could snack all day long and the girl eats cake faster than anyone you've ever seen (she gets that from her daddy).  She still has a big sweet tooth and we can usually use sweets to bribe her to eat her dinner (I know, good parenting right there).
 
Kensley also loves going on outings, out to dinner and is big on "plans" (I wonder who she gets that from?).  She often asks me what the plan is for tomorrow or what we are doing today.  We're working on days of the week with her and knowing that Tuesday is school day, Fridays are girls days (well most weeks when I don't have to work), Daddy is home on Saturdays and Sundays and church is on Sunday.  She's getting good about knowing which days come next.
 
She is also really big on playing with her friends (real or imaginary).  Often her "friends" from Sophie the first and Little Einsteins (both TV shows) come over to "play" and I'll often hear her talking to them.  Her imagination is impressive and I love to hear the things she comes up with.  She also loves being around other kids and is absolutely obsessed with her "best friend, Elli". 

Movie date with Mommy (her first movie!) to see the Lorax
Three is such a fun age, despite some of the tantrums and challenges.

No comments:

Post a Comment